[Server-devel] Open Admin for OLPC, was Re: XS SW

Les R openadmin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:30:04 EDT 2008

Hi Martin, Yama, et al.

2008/6/14 Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com>:

> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am looking forward to incorporate Open Admin (An open source web-based
>>> school administration program. Includes student demographics, attendance,
>>> discipline, report card, IEP, Gradebook, Daybook, ...)
>>>
>>> http://richtech.ca/openadmin
>>
>> Interesting! Good to hear of that. Two questions:
>>
>>  - Have you seen it "in action" in schools?
>
> I haven't "with mine own eyes", but that's a long, sad story involving
> management that doesn't believe in open source at the school I used to work
> in...  I have been connected, mostly lurking, the development of OA for at
> least 2 years and have come across several actual users, so definitely, it
> is being used, though not yet a mainline thing.  The main developer is very
> open to working with people of all levels, so that works to my advantage
> :-).

The usage of open source software like Open Admin is very hard to
track (which is why I ask for information when folks download OA).
Four divisions here in Saskatchewan use OA, and I have support
contracts with 3 of them. I also have support contracts with schools
scattered around the US and elsewhere. Other than that, I can only
look at the information provided on download. I have 750 values for
'Full Production Use' from the downloads, although most are blank
(~2000 of the ~4400 download), so there are undoubtedly more in that
group.

> Yes, I totally agree with you that you shouldn't trust or recommend anything
> unless you have really good evidence, the only one really passing all muster
> is one's own experience, so I think the question is fair and appropriate.  I
> often complain about the need for more of this approach in the Peripherals
> side of this biznai...
>
> That's why I wasn't volunteering you guys to implement it, but rather just
> sharing that I would try and look and see.
>
>>  - How much does it overlap with Moodle?
>
> zero idea, since I am still very unfamiliar with Moodle.  I agree this is
> pretty much vital, but since they both potentially use either database
> system, it should work (famous last words... :-))

Yes, I have looked at it and have some solutions and have an
integration approach. However, no integration code is available, yet.
The main problem being that I try not to write software that nobody
uses! If I get feedback that, yes, Moodle integration is something
that folks want, then I'll write it! (grin)

In order for that to happen I have to have someone working with me
that will provide timely feedback and is actually asking for features,
etc. Without that collaboration, there is little development. For
example, the transcript system is the result of work with Andy
Figueroa who wanted this feature and provided timely (ie quick)
feedback and some ideas about new features (such as the new graduation
date feature in that system).

The scheduling aspect of OA is pretty much 'unturned sod', since work
I did about a year or so ago. There seems to be little interest with
integration with external open source schedulers to create master
timetables, etc. As a result, I have done little work in that area.

The same is true for Moodle integration (or other CMS integration).
Without some folks who want this added to OA, there won't be lot
happening. However, if I get a collaborator (or several), this can
move forward.  Like so many things in life, social interaction, even
remotely by email, etc. is important.

Les Richardson
Open Admin for Schools
http://richtech.ca/openadmin