[Server-devel] Got Past Line 23 error

Tony Pearson tpearson at us.ibm.com
Sun Jun 15 01:15:26 EDT 2008

Martin,
I managed to get past the "Line 23 clearpart" error and proceed with a
complete XS install.

I used the following process (loosely based on
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=174916)

** The commands are done in "root" mode, mostly from the "/root"
directory, unless otherwise specified.

** Took the XS-163 CD and converted it back to ISO on the beta server
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/root/old163.iso bs=2k conv=sync,notrunc

** Make a new directory "ISO"
mkdir /root/ISO
mount -t iso9660 -o loop old163.iso ISO

ls ISO
============
isolinux
squashfs.img
sysroot
============

** get these tools in case you don't have them
modprobe squashfs
yum install squashfs-tools

** Decompress the data to a folder called "squash-root"
unsquashfs ISO/squashfs.img

ls squashfs-root
===========
os.img
sysroot
============

** Make a new directory called LIVE
mkdir /root/LIVE
mount -o loop,rw squashfs-root/os.img LIVE

** Remove out all statements related to "boot loaders", "clear part" or
"partitions"
cd LIVE/root
gedit anaconda-ks.cfg
rm -rf anaconda-ks.cfg~
cd /root

** Unmount LIVE so that we can re-compress into a new "newsq.img" image
file
umount  LIVE
mksquashfs  squashfs-root  newsq.img

** Make new directory BUILD to hold the new image of the CD
** Please note that the "/" slash after ISO is very important for "rsync"
to work properly
mkdir BUILD
rsync -av --exclude='squashfs.img' ISO/  BUILD
cp newsq.img BUILD/

** You must use the same CD Volume Label.  It can be found with this
cat ISO/isolinux/isolinux.cfg | grep CDLABEL
==========
( root=CDLABEL=OLPC_XS_163)
==========

** This last step must be done from within the BUILD directory, the last
character is a "." period
** That period (".") represents all the files in the "current" (BUILD)
directory.
cd BUILD
mkisofs -R -D -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.catalog -o
/root/new163.iso
                -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
-allow-leading-dots
                -input-charset default -V "OLPC_XS_163"  .

** That created the "new163.iso" file.  Before we burn to CD, let's make
sure it works first.
** The following will start a virtual server, enough to make sure the ISO
file fixes the problem.
yum install qemu kvm
qemu-kvm -m 1024 -cdrom new163.iso

** Use cdrecord, wodim or other program to burn the "new163.iso" into a CD
boot from this new CD

The CD will be interactive, asking you to either clear out the partition
tables, or create
a customer configuration, or use the partitions that are already on the
disk.

This worked for me.

Thanks