[Server-devel] Help on the School_server

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Jun 11 12:07:49 EDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Yama Ploskonka wrote:

> I was considering that defining "sub units within the school" might
> be a workaround for now, but I have no idea how that can be done.
> By MAC address?.
> Please, people who know how that can be done, do tell us.

Each sub unit would have its own school server.  The trick is how to
register groups of laptops on the same network with different servers
(there is a problem with the Identity Manager discovery mechanism...)

Once laptops have been registered with a particular server, they
should co-exist relatively well.

The trick is providing a school network that can handle the traffic.

> It has been mentioned that in some Uruguay schools they have to
> schedule times of the day that certain classes can use their XOs,
> because if there are too many on at the same time apparently they
> DOS the servers.

Let's leave Uruguay out of this.   They are not running OLPC's software.

wad