[Server-devel] EduBlog Revised Project Plan

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:05:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Tarun Pondicherry
<tarunpondicherry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
>> 2 - I don't like the risk in the "group edit and teacher review"
>>

> Teacher review should not be a problem to do in a few days, but group
> edit involves implementing things that I don't think Moodle blog/ ou
> blog currently support, so it will take longer. The only way around that
> is if we can reuse code, but we can't rely on this as we don't know when
> it will be done. Perhaps we can take group edit out of beta? Like you
> said, its better to underpromise than overpromise; it is possible that
> we can implement it in time, just not 100% confident.

Good assessment of risk & plan -- +1 from this angle...

>> 4 - I can live with Moodle as the base. My only hesitation is still on
>> config of Moodle.
>
> From my understanding of what Martin said, since Moodle will be
> preinstalled on the XS, we can provide a direct link to the blog page
> which will know who it is etc. So it should behave as desired.

/me nods

>> 5 - Leave auth to the end unless there is some trivial way to start.
>
> So for now, I can do it with name only authentication, or just have
> everyone post under the same UID, which would you prefer?

Name only auth, and we can make the cookie persistent, so it will only
ask for it once.

>> Video is important, e.g. this site is all video:
>> http://www.sextosdela37.blogspot.com/
>>
>> If we allow linking to video posted on Internet instead of upload from
>> XO, does that help?
>>

> The difficulty with video is if we have to host the video. If it is
> hosted on a 3rd party site that is easy to connect and upload to then
> the task is greatly simplified. If the video is already on YouTube or
> another site with embeddable widgits, then its trivial as long as Browse
> supports it.

Moodle supports file upload, and then linking to the urls (if users
can handle the copy-url, paste idiom. The HTMLArea editor supports
picking the files - but it is in a new window, which I don't think
will work in Browse. Budget for some time on this.

First cut can be externally hosted video - video support these days
often counts on Flash. I would suggest checking with people on
devel at l.l.o what workflow we can use to end up with stuff that is
viewable with Gnash - but try to avoid the inevitable flamewar... (i
know, i know, avoid the unavoidable... not useful advise :-) )

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com