[Server-devel] EduBlog Revised Project Plan

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 12:54:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
<gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
> My top concern with requiring Moodle for August delivery is that no one
> has Moodle yet. Do you know of any plan to install Moodle in
> Ceibal/Uruguay?

Nothing specific. CC'ing Emiliano, who might know a bit more. When I
talked with the Ceibal team, they knew moodle and were enthusiastic
about it :-)

> Of course, no one has EduBlog either. Maybe we can do
> the Internet hosted version (AKA Tony's box) with Moodle and declare
> Phase 1 success that way. We need a final OS + XS build to install by
> mid-July latest.

Sounds reasonable - even if we had everything "done" now, it would be
impossible to ensure it is deployed on your schedule.

A non-XS-based installation probably means usernames/passwords will be
required - we can only do magic authentication tricks with the local
XS.

> My secondary concern is that many programmers know how to build Apache +
> Script + DB Web Apps (LAMP if you will). If we can say "LAMP skills is
> all you need to build dynamic XS hosted web sites for XO" that's a big
> plus. Its tougher if we add "must know, install and configure Moodle" or
> worst case "must modify Moodle source". Better if we recommend and doc
> sharing resources with Moodle (e.g. DB and auth) but otherwise build
> your own web app.

A ton of people know how to install moodle, there are guides
everywhere, and a forum packed with people helping eachother install
Moodle. We can just provide the additional module, and/or an
already-patched version of Moodle.

> I still need a simple front end GUI to help me promote the core idea but
> I can wait if we're making progress in other areas.

If you base your mockups on a simplified version of moodle, it'll
work. What we can do is plan to provide moodle pre-configured so thus

 - blogs are enabled
 - if using oublog, the "sitecourse" which is the frontpage, has an
oublog activity (and the standard blog facility disabled to avoid conf
 - the UI for blogging is simple / simplified from

> I have to focus on customer side for a while so have at it and let me
> know what you think is the best way to satisfy the requirements:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Blog_Educativo_Plan_del_Proyecto#Requirements_
> English

Re-reading those, I still think moodling our way forward is the
easiest. Some of those req's are going to be hard to accomplish, but
we can discuss that separately.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com