[Server-devel] Edublog notes

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Jun 5 06:38:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Tarun Pondicherry
<tarunpondicherry at gmail.com> wrote:

> - Embed Mozilla's editor inside an activity similarly to how we are
> embedding the browse in Browse.
> http://www.xulplanet.com/references/xpcomref/comps/c_editorhtmleditor1.html
>

> This looks very promising.  The only question I have is how easily I would
> be able to make that interface mimic Write and add options to it.  (I assume
> it would involve changes to Browse or other sugar code).  HTML controls
> don't display using the sugar interface controls either, so I'm unsure if
> this uses them.

Well, Browse is a python activity that uses pyxpcom to access the
xulrunner functionality from python. Browse uses the browser
functionality in xulrunner because it is a browser ;), but your
activity could use the html editor functionality that is in xulrunner.

You would code the UI in pygtk very similarly to Browse, and just call
xulrunner through pyxpcom.

> Not sure which one is the best for you, perhaps going with #2 may be
> easier? Would be good to leave space for growing later as needed,
> though. #1 and #3 would give you support for tables.
>

> I'm not sure why #2 (JS editor) would not give me support for tables.
> Doesn't Gecko's Midas provide functions to create and modify tables?  (I've
> done it with editors that run in firefox.)  Has that feature been disabled
> for some reason?

Well, Midas is a html editor implemented in C++ inside xulrunner,
right? It can be accessed though js or pyxpcom, so it would work both
as #2 and #3. Didn't knew it had support for tables, so I stand
corrected.

Regards,

Tomeu