[Server-devel] More XS notes

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Jul 31 02:02:25 EDT 2008

* The olpc-scripts in /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/ are just plain
confusing.

* Ejabberd is extremely flaky
Even the smallest changes to the ejabberd.cfg file seem to make it
crash. I added and extra admin acct to the admins acl on my laptop's
ejabberd install and now ejabberd won't run.

Sometimes it seems that the only way to get ejabberd running properly
was to reboot the machine. Perhaps this was due to funky stuff hanging
out in the Mnesia database? Can anyone tell me more about this?

Ejabberd can be used w/ a relational database such as postgres instead
of Mnesia. Can anyone comment on the advantages, disadvantages of this?

* Shorewall
We have installed shorewall and using it to manage iptables.

* Dansguardian and Squid up and running. Dansguardian was a bit tricky,
particularly the Shorewall configuration.

* Moodle
Got it up and running using Postrgres, which was bit tricky

Questions:
1) Easier ways to work w/ ejabberd?
2) anyone succeeded in interconnecting ejabberd b/w two schools?
3) Martin: can you comment on the use of DOOR or Fedora Commons as a
local repository?
4) What is the current state of integrating fedora-commons and Moodle?

Todo:
1) test out ds-backup
2) test out XS features fully w/ actual XO's
3) test the XS for performance and disaster recovery
5) Get fedora-commons running on the XS and integrate w/ Moodle
(longterm project)

Will send out our config notes for what we have done so far later today.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer