[Server-devel] Using XO HW with an XS image

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Wed Jul 16 17:39:19 EDT 2008

> - Install the XS image on a regular machine.
> - Move the HD to a USB enclosure.
> - Boot the XO from USB.
> - Perhaps re-run the /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/network_config
script (with a parameter of "1").

Hi Martin,

My plans were similar to yours, except an additional step (step 1), consisting
of install the XS image via Virtualbox running on a debian host.
So far, I have some problems with the connectivity from within Virtualbox.
Next todo is to resolve this issue.

The next planned steps are:
Step 2: to install the XS on a USB drive and
Step 3: to boot on the usb from a standard laptop

Step 6 to boot the XS server on the usb drive from the XO

Before step 6, I am actually experenting two additional steps,
Step 4: the (successfull) installation of a debian system on a SD card
+ the (failed) booting of a debian system from a SD card (results in a kernel
panic)
Step 5: to install + run ubuntu on a usb stick.

Best regards,

Samy