[Server-devel] Moodle administration

Tarun Pondicherry tarunpondicherry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 02:34:27 EDT 2008

Hi Tony,

I think git pull merges in the files that have changed.  It is not
usually used as a one time thing.  The changed files on the server
(config etc.) will be newer on the server, so it should not clobber
anything.  But, I am new to git, so it is safer to create a test
directory.  I will also eventually need a place to reinstall Moodle a
few times to make sure the install scripts work as well.  If we create a
separate db for it the prefixes, etc. we should be safe.

For now, I will try git pulling into my home dir and copying and pasting
things in.  I think we will have to do one more Moodle install before
going for beta, since I have to make a change in the add user script.
I'll try to preserve our list and reload it when done.  Aside from the
users, is there anything else we would lose that I should back up?  Does
the install go smoothly from a server point of view (only issues are
with moodle scripts)?

I also need to change tables in the db for updates versions, if we don't
do a fresh install.  Is there any db management software installed on
the server?

Thanks,
Tarun