[Server-devel] Moodle administration

Tony Pearson tpearson at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 14 19:56:08 EDT 2008

> I tried doing a git pull in the www root as root user, but got the
> following error:
> [XS-root EduBlog]# git pull
> fatal: Unable to look up dev.laptop.org (port 9418) (Name or service not

> known)
> Cannot get the repository state from
git://dev.laptop.org/projects/EduBlog
> Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Tarun,
I already did the "git clone" and "git pull" for you.  I was in
"var/www/html" when I did it, and it created the EduBlog directory and an
EduBlog/.git subdirectory.  These are one-time operations.  I am not
familiar with git, but it would seem to me that to do another "git pull"
would mean have to erase the entire directory structure under
/var/www/html and do the installation all over.  Unless you want to
clobber the existing installation, I suggest that all updates now must be
made live on the EduBlog beta server.

One alternative might be for you to perform a second "git clone" on your
local /home/tarun directory, do a git pull there, and then hand
selectively move files into the /var/www/html/EduBlog directories where
appropriate.  Remember to properly set all the ownerships to
'apache:nobody' and the "read-only" settings on the various files.

If you like, we can leave the current "EduBlog" directory as "production"
and create a new subdirectory 'test' for new work that is used prior to
merging into production.  This way you can try out your changes with
http://edublog.venango.org/test/moodle instead of .../EduBlog/moodle.  We
would also need to set up a new /var/www/test/moodledata for test, as we
would not want changes to the test data impacting the production system.
We could also change "mdl_" prefix to "test_" so that we can ensure the
two databases do not interact.

In this manner, we keep EduBlog stable enough for the testers to evaluate
your current stable version, while you work on the updated versions. Since
we have multiple users, we need to work out process and procedures to make
sure that everyone knows what is going on, communicates changes ahead of
time, and so on.

I am in Mumbai this week, which is similar time zone as Hyderabad if you
want to discuss over the phone, I can use VoIP.  Let me know what time and
phone number is best to reach you at.

Tony (az990tony)