[Server-devel] VPN server for our project

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jul 2 20:39:43 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 04:16:06PM +0200, Marten Vijn wrote:
> I use openvpn, works well over nat! (pptp does not)

As the PPTP maintainer ... yes, PPTP may give you trouble over NAT, since
the NAT must do stateful inspection or passthrough.  Also, the Linux
PPTP implementations do not fully support call identification and
multiplexing, with the result that you may have trouble with more than
one end-point behind a NAT.  In short, don't use it.  Use OpenVPN.

--
James Cameron                         http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer             http://opensource.hp.com/