[Server-devel] Tentative Plans for Nepal's School Server and related infrastructure

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:57:07 EST 2008

Ivan,

just to bring back the discussion to the list -

On Jan 24, 2008 7:28 AM, Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> The idmgr is a hack of a 50-line script that does XMLRPC. So no, it
> doesn't support much of anything.

(...)

> Please make sure to put forward a concrete technical specification
> here on how you'd go about doing that, as it'd be great to have you
> work on this in a way that we can co-opt for the official XS builds
> rather than having to duplicate effort.

in discussions last year, the plan was to take advantage of the following things

 - Moodle can consume OpenID -- though it's a bit clumsy and I want to
make it better, and add IDP support (if needed)
 - Other webapps on the XS can talk OpenID or use other forms of SSO with Moodle
 - We can config Fedora's PAM to read Moodle's DB

If we do the above,then student accts can be managed via Moodle which
has a reasonable user mgmt UI (and it's easy to improve if we find
shortcomings), and those accounts become unix accounts transparently.
We can also do unix groups, etc.

What I don't know is: What parts of the OpenID infrastructure are
done? What parts need work? Have the goalposts moved / do we want
something different now?

cheers,

martin