[Server-devel] State of the XS

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Wed Feb 27 14:35:13 EST 2008

Marten -- Just as a friendly aside, I suggest that you install and run
an xo virtual machine, because it is a good way to test pretty much
everything about the xo that doesn't entail details of the
appearance/sound of an app or of operation of the mesh.

Using my (slightly moldy, because I do have hardware) vm I find that
the XO has all the software listed except gpg.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Marten Vijn <info at martenvijn.nl> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:16 -0500, John Watlington wrote:
>  > Here is my opinion of the state of the XS software:
>
>  <snip>
>

>  >          - limited laptop backup (only modifications to the laptop
>  > are needed)
>  >          - registration  (needed for laptop backup and presence)
>  >          - presence   (needed to make networking work w. lots of
>

>  - regestration could be done from mac addresses in dhcpd-leases
>  - up could be tested in broadcast ping
>
>  I could make some shell script to test this.
>
>  design issues would be:
>  - push/pull model
>  - encryption of the channel ssl/scp/rsync
>  - encryption of backup
>  - versioning (svn?)
>

>  I could make some shell script to test this.
>
>  models use now:
>
>  ssh user at remote 'tar -czf - /home/user |' user_timestamp.tgz
>
>  or
>  make small script like
>  #/bin/sh
>  tar -czf /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz /home/user
>  gpg -e /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz
>  scp /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz.gpg backup at server:/storage/
>  sleep 600
>
>  just 2ct
>

>  I have 0 XO's so can use some info..
>  Do they have:
>  ssh
>  sshd
>  rsync
>  gpg
>  tar
>
>  other idea would be the server XS to ask the user via jabber....
>
>  (3rd cent :)
>
>  Is there somewhere a grid to test?
>

>  Marten
>

>  --
>
>  Marten Vijn
>  http://martenvijn.nl
>  http://wifisoft.org
>  http://opencommunitycamp.org

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."