[Server-devel] State of the XS

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Wed Feb 27 14:12:12 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:16 -0500, John Watlington wrote:
> Here is my opinion of the state of the XS software:

<snip>

>          - limited laptop backup (only modifications to the laptop
> are needed)
>          - registration  (needed for laptop backup and presence)
>          - presence   (needed to make networking work w. lots of

- regestration could be done from mac addresses in dhcpd-leases
- up could be tested in broadcast ping

I could make some shell script to test this.

design issues would be:
- push/pull model
- encryption of the channel ssl/scp/rsync
- encryption of backup
- versioning (svn?)

I could make some shell script to test this.

models use now:

ssh user at remote 'tar -czf - /home/user |' user_timestamp.tgz

or
make small script like
#/bin/sh
tar -czf /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz /home/user
gpg -e /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz
scp /tmp/user_timestamp.tgz.gpg backup at server:/storage/
sleep 600

just 2ct

I have 0 XO's so can use some info..
Do they have:
ssh
sshd
rsync
gpg
tar

other idea would be the server XS to ask the user via jabber....

(3rd cent :)

Is there somewhere a grid to test?

Marten

--