[Server-devel] Nepal Project Management Updates and Questions

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:17:44 EST 2008

Hello Everybody,

just figured I'd respond to the question:

> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:40:46 -0500
> From: gregmsmi at cisco.com
> To: server-devel at lists.laptop.org
> Subject: [Server-devel] Nepal Project Management Updates and Questions
>
> Hi All,
>
> Catching up with the flow, I have the following comments. Sorry for
> breaking the threading but I'm replying to all in one pass.
>
> From Tony 2/14 Subject: Spreadsheet, Active Antenna, and this weekend
> > As for backing up the /home directory from the XO to the XS, I was
> envisioning a PHP page on the server that the student could navigate to,
> and this would perform the file upload. It would require the students to
> take action to cause this to happen. It sounds like an automated
> solution would be better, but how did you want this to be kicked off,
> once per day?
>
> GS - I think this is a phase 2 item (unless Sulochan and Bryan think its
> critical for first deployment...) I added it to the phase 2 design
> requirements at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:School_Server_Specification#XO_Backup_Re
> quirements
> Maybe we should just do this automatically. Its helpful for kids to
> understand what backup is but I don't know that its necessary they be
> required to learn it. Also this may generate a lot of traffic and it may
> be lower priority traffic other activities (e.g. web browsing). One
> design would have XS watch for low traffic periods and then backup a few
> Xos at a time, keeping  track of all Xos and ensuring that they get done
> in order. Maybe that's over designed and not reliable enough. We should
> get feedback from the trial before coding this one.
>
> Short term it would be nice to have a backup option and a copy to server
> option (clears space on XO but allows access to files on XS) prototype
> available for users to try out and comment on. Maybe we can try out your
> PHP page idea with a few test classes/students and see how it flies....
>
> From Stefan re: [Server-devel] Deployment mailing list - The 'real (US)
> world' -	server user /	admin interface and the like
>
> GS - Stefan, where is your deployment happening? We're trying to put
> together a school server design for Nepal but its nothing like a GUI
> administered box. See the notes, experiences and ideas on Nepal at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php?title=Nepal#Planning
>
> I don't think that we will have a copy and paste config and set of
> install instructions by April, but you can watch that page and this list
> to see how close we get :-)

'My' deployment is happening in Birmingham, AL, USA.
Legally it is not mine, but city and school board seem unaware of what
they'd need to keep an eye on. Like non-geek administrability... (Otherwise
it will get pushed onto the school board's IT department and boy are
they in for a rude awakening once that happens... (please excuse the
colloquialism).
I finally got my XS setup running tonight. It seems to be lacking some
features I really thought were part of the setup (moodle, dansguardian).
At least squid is happy ;-)
I guess I'll have to let the city and school board get stuck before they'll
listen, but once they do, I'd rather have a solution up my sleeve.
Coming from an industry background, their approach to handling the
deployment seems quite ingenuous.

Stefan