No subject

Sat Feb 2 07:43:15 EST 2008

> As for backing up the /home directory from the XO to the XS, I was
envisioning a PHP page on the server that the student could navigate to,
and this would perform the file upload. It would require the students to
take action to cause this to happen. It sounds like an automated
solution would be better, but how did you want this to be kicked off,
once per day?=20

GS - I think this is a phase 2 item (unless Sulochan and Bryan think its
critical for first deployment...) I added it to the phase 2 design
requirements at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:School_Server_Specification#XO_Backup_Re
quirements
Maybe we should just do this automatically. Its helpful for kids to
understand what backup is but I don't know that its necessary they be
required to learn it. Also this may generate a lot of traffic and it may
be lower priority traffic other activities (e.g. web browsing). One
design would have XS watch for low traffic periods and then backup a few
Xos at a time, keeping  track of all Xos and ensuring that they get done
in order. Maybe that's over designed and not reliable enough. We should
get feedback from the trial before coding this one.=20

Short term it would be nice to have a backup option and a copy to server
option (clears space on XO but allows access to files on XS) prototype
available for users to try out and comment on. Maybe we can try out your
PHP page idea with a few test classes/students and see how it flies....