[Server-devel] non-internet OLPC and Wikipedia cut software

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:24:31 EST 2008

On Feb 14, 2008 4:58 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> wrote:
> I am putting together a note on the why and wherefore not to expect
> OLPCs to be able to access the internet (it has to do with TCO and local
> politics), and how to keep going under the circumstances.

I think we all understand the whys :-)

> Do not hold your breath though, since my priority right now is to devise
> wikipedia extraction software. I want to contact other people on that
> specific track, since on my side I am merely at the pseudo-code level,
> and it would be better I do not waste time in work that has been
> completed already.

Mediawiki already has good export facilities - google before coding!

>  Likewise on software to aid in
> localization/translation.  I have been told most OLPC work is being done
> in PHP, which I do not know. I was planning to do Perl, or maybe I
> should take the plunge and learn PHP...  I'm getting old, the days I
> could pick up a language in a week are long gone. :-)

Lots of stuff is in existence in PHP  - not my favourite either (I'm a
Perl-head) but big wheels don't want to be reinvented.

> Anyway, I apologize for just jumping in, but the urgency of the matter
> at hand sort of presses for answers, and bypassing the usual lurker
> stage might be allowed.

Just google stuff first - there is a ton of discussion in the wiki and
earlier in this list (and devel@).