[Server-devel] Nepal Server Open Issues

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Wed Feb 13 13:44:18 EST 2008

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I don't think we can use certs for two reasons:
1 - I believe that is primarily a way to verify the authenticity of web
sites not user identity. I may be thinking of web sites certs so correct
me if I am wrong.
2 - It does not look like Moodle
(http://docs.moodle.org/en/Authentication may need to register/auth :-)
or the XO web browser supports them. If not, its more work to add that
than we likely have time for.

You mention "basic auth". Does anyone knows if the XO web browser
supports that? Even so, its still not clear that would work for Moodle
although the related NTLM auth is possible and Linux PAM is also
available in Moodle.

Anyway it's a big area and that's just web browser/HTTP authentication,
not to mention other protocols. Since we haven't qualified any short
term hacks, I'll leave it the experts (e.g. Ivan and Martin) to put
forward a more general approach.

Thanks,

Greg S