[Server-devel] Nepal Server Open Issues

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Tue Feb 12 12:23:10 EST 2008

Have you considered using client certs to achieve single signon?  Since
apache has the "make it look like basic auth occurred" setting, it would be
at least possible that this might do what you want.  Of course it would
require code on the xo, presumably added to the school server registration,
to install a client cert in the browse activity.

On Feb 12, 2008 9:07 AM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi) <gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Sulochan et al,
>
> Thanks for the details and closing off a bunch of issues. I think we are
> converging on a short term design. Time permitting, I'll create a new
> wiki page this week showing the April design. The existing page can
> track the "Phase 2" design. Nice and simple for Phase 1 with XS doing
> network access, basic web serving, caching and maybe filtering sounds
> wise.
>
> Here's what I see for phase 1:
> - XS build 150 (unless Wad or someone else comes up with a must have
> reason and stable build in time)
> - No SSO (also means no Moodle tracking by student, grade or group)
> - 2 x XS servers
> - No automated XO backup on XS
>
> Let me know if you agree and we can revisit all in phase 2 with a newer
> XS build.
>
> Still open questions on phase 1:
> 1 - Network design.
> I think we need this based on Wads comment it's the only one supported
> for >150 Xos:
> (ISP)-------------(hub)---------eth0 [XS] eth1 ------------  (WiFi)----[
> XO ]
>
> The only downside is when XS is down you're off the Internet and Library
> server. A second Wifi AP between the hub and eth0 helps but requires
> manual intervention (e.g. change WEP to open on XS failure). It also
> leaves the Internet open (aka no filtering) on XS failure. The 2 x XS
> design may help but needs more definition.
>
> Will you have 2 x DSL lines, one for each XS? Should we consider the
> second AP on each XS or start with the design above? Does your DSL line
> ever go down and is that a major concern?
>
> 2 - 2 x XS design.
> We need to define the "backup" scripts which allow one to backup the
> other. Also need to spell out the domain name and web site design.
> Lastly, need to define how Xos "attach" to an XS and if we can/should
> segment the mesh. Some high level options for 2 x XS boxes are:
> - active/standby. Mirrored and may require manual intervention to bring
> up standby on active failure.
> - active/active mirrored and load balanced by DNS, client (XO) config or
> other
> - active/active one for Grade 6 one for Grade 2 with each serving the
> other grade on failure. Needs client config or other method to load
> balance with Xos sticky to the right XS for their grade.
>
> I think Tony has been commenting on the last option but we need another
> level of detail for that to make phase 1.
>
> 3 - On Squid. I think you want a full Moodle, library and activities
> store on the XS.  That keeps your XS useful even if DSL line is down. In
> this case, Squid is mostly for transparent proxy (TP = close to the
> user, caches everything and saves WAN BW)). Also some reverse proxy (RP
> = close to the server, caches server content only, offloads server CPU
> and HD). I think you can add some commands to the squid.conf to do the
> [...]

"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."