[Server-devel] Nepal Server Open Issues

sulochan acharya sulochan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 21:12:14 EST 2008

Hi Greg,

> One key questions: Will you have one DSL line or two going in to the
> school?

>> I think we will have one line going into the school. Internet connection
is somewhat expensive, but are pretty reliable, with decend bandwidth, and
it rarely goes down.

> On your network diagram http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/138
> a few comments:
>
> 1 - It looks all wireless in the school. It may be better to add a hub
> and cables between wireless AP, XS and Squid. I think that's the
> recommended design. Just get a good hub and have a back up. I hate it
> when the cheapest box in the design fails and brings the whole network
> down! Could be you don't want to pull cables in the school and that's a
> reason to go wireless.

>>My mistake :(. All the connections are wired excpet the network provided
by the wireless router (which i have not shown) and the mesh created by the
active antenna. Will correct that and update the post. Thanks for pointing
that out.

A few things to test ASAP on that front. Can an XS connect to wireless
> AP and Internet using WEP? Which wireless NIC will it use (active
> antenna or one on a USB port)? Same for the squid box.

>>I think so. Both the XS and the XO can connect to the wireless router
using WEP. XO's can easily do so, all you have to do is select that wireless
network on the neighbourhood. I actually have wireless nic cards on both the
XS and the Proxy boxes, they didnt work and I didnt put much work into
making it work, but looks like a good ideas to make it do so. I will get
that working and update you guys on it.

> 2 - The squid on its own box helps but you need to work out the network
> between it and the XS. The main point is to ensure all traffic goes in
> this order:
> XO <-> XS/default gateway <-> Squid <-> Internet

>>Yeah, this configuration does that. If you look at the iptables lines that
comes after the config file, it is prerouting all requests on port 80 to
squid from XS to cache to the internet. THe XO always talk to XS inside the
mesh so all their request is heding down port 80 of the XS.
>>I guess i can add more  for forward packets  and  for other ports, but
yeah it handles that.
>>I tested the whole structure and it works. My bad for not including the
log files from squid. It would have made things more clear( but they were
very long :))