[Server-devel] Need Squid help

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Feb 11 18:19:50 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:07 PM, John Watlington wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> A few things;
>>
>> "With 1024 file descriptors available" isn't a lot; that should
>> be higher (8192 at least).
>
> I don't know where that limit is coming in.   A default
> build of XS installs with a limit of 102K fds:
> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> 102046
>
> Is this limited in squid somewhere ?

The shell limits were set to 1024.  If I ever convince the
build system to give me back an image, it'll be fixed in the
release.

We never fixed a problem with the livecd tools crapping out
occasionally after getting confused about which kernel it
should be installing into initramfs.   Nor did we figure out what
exactly
triggers it.  It is no factor I have been able to modify - build
machine,
kickstart configurations, time since boot, permissions, presence of
other kernels in the repo, etc).
I will be moving the build system to Fedora 8 to see if that fixes it.

wad

wad