[Server-devel] Nepal project plan and requirements updated

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Feb 8 01:02:17 EST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The Nepal project plan and school server specification Wiki pages have
> been updated.
> See:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal#Planning
>
> We need to pick the XS server image we will deploy ASAP. Teacher
> training starts April 1!
>
> Will there be another XS server image blessed by OLPC beyond
> OLPC_XS_150.iso in the next few weeks?

Yes.  We are hoping to get one including some critical new
services (activation and update) out in the next week.

> One open question is the status of single sign on.
>
> I see three options:
> 1 - Don't use it in phase 1
> 2 - Use one of the proposed work arounds. See Single Sign On
> section at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
> Nepal:School_Server_Specification#Requirements
> _Not_Specific_to_a_Core_Software_Module_
> 3 - Use some other OLPC developed solution. (Bitfrost?)
>
> Let me know if option 3 has a chance to make a new build or if we
> should
> focus on the first two for now.

Focus on one of the first two.   I'm curious what you mean by
"BitFrost", cause
the BitFrost document didn't really extend past the laptop.   The
current ID scheme
(described in earlier mail to Martin) IS the BitFrost ID scheme.   A
private/public
key pair is used to identify the student.   As this is kind of
awkward for a username,
two derivatives are in use:  the laptop serial number and a hash of
the public key.
This is probably changing somewhat in the future.

> Any other comments on the which of the listed requirements are
> addressed
> in which XS server build are appreciated.
>
> Also, clarifications, additions and suggestions are welcome. I will
> try
> to improve the formatting and add detail regularly.
>
> For the Nepal team,
>
> After we lock down SSO strategy, what do you want to focus on next? I
> think we should switch from design to implementation in less than two
> weeks. Hot topics we could try to flush out include:
> - Moodle design and usage
> - Backup and reliability, including storage and network aspects

The network is the biggest headache right now.  Are you planning to
deploy in any schools larger than 150 students ?

> - Caching and filtering

Squid is working fine, although I'm not sure the logs get deleted as
well as rotated...    Update to the testing repository (edit /etc/
yum.repos.olpc.d/testing
and /etc/yum.repos.olpc.d/stable) --- make sure you get xs-config 2.5-8.
Restart the httpd server, and now you should be able to start and
stop web caching with
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/TURN_SQUID_ON and TURN_SQUID_OFF.
These persist across reboots.

I'm working on getting Dansguardian packaged and configured.