[Server-devel] Nepal project plan and requirements updated

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Thu Feb 7 17:04:37 EST 2008

Hi All,

The Nepal project plan and school server specification Wiki pages have
been updated.
See:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal#Planning

We need to pick the XS server image we will deploy ASAP. Teacher
training starts April 1!

Will there be another XS server image blessed by OLPC beyond
OLPC_XS_150.iso in the next few weeks?

One open question is the status of single sign on.

I see three options:
1 - Don't use it in phase 1
2 - Use one of the proposed work arounds. See Single Sign On section at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:School_Server_Specification#Requirements
_Not_Specific_to_a_Core_Software_Module_
3 - Use some other OLPC developed solution. (Bitfrost?)

Let me know if option 3 has a chance to make a new build or if we should
focus on the first two for now.

Any other comments on the which of the listed requirements are addressed
in which XS server build are appreciated.

Also, clarifications, additions and suggestions are welcome. I will try
to improve the formatting and add detail regularly.

For the Nepal team,

After we lock down SSO strategy, what do you want to focus on next? I
think we should switch from design to implementation in less than two
weeks. Hot topics we could try to flush out include:
- Moodle design and usage
- Backup and reliability, including storage and network aspects
- Caching and filtering
- Localization
Something else?

Pick an area and we'll try to suggest and help implement a design ASAP.

Thanks,

Greg Smith