[Server-devel] XO Connectivity - some ideas

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Sat Feb 2 09:47:53 EST 2008

server-devel-bounces at lists.laptop.org wrote on 02/01/2008 02:50:32 PM:

> Ankur,
>
> I agree that GSM and CDMA networks have large penetration in India.
> It might be interesting to look into cost of GPRS services , by data
> usage or by per time basis. I don't avail of GPRS services and
> couldn't easily find any pages that point to plans/costs too -- but
> if you could just give a general idea of the cost, that'd be great.
> Also, it'd be interesting to know about GPRS service costs in other
> countries too ...
>
> thanks
> Arjun

The simplest way would be to use a USB GPRS/EDGE modem on one XO and have
the mesh do the rest for you.
Data plan tariffs vary wildely from country to country. The cheapest plan
that I am aware of in the west, is Tmobile-US' 20$/month all-you-can-eat.
I am also aware of afforadable data plans in Pakistan (where in many areas
GPRS is the only option).
I really don't know where India falls these days, however for small scale
deployments you should be able to persuade a provider to give you a few
data-activated SIMs for free.

M.