[Server-devel] Collaboration unreliable 0.5

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Sun Dec 21 04:05:51 EST 2008

Martin,

Here is some info to help you trace the problem.

Hardware XS:		Toshiba Tecra A3 model PTA20A
Hardware XO:		2 x XO-C2, 2 x XO-B4
Wireless:			Active antenna OLPC S/R 009 black box
prototype type USB device

PROCEDURE:

- 0.5 version downloaded on 19/11/08 (note if there is an update this might
be significant, it is difficult to download 500MB in this region)
- revert to 0.4 and check all is OK (check)
- install 0.5 from kickstart
- Guadalcanal time zone
- System clock not using UTC
- Basic install - no add ons

CONNECTED BUT NOT YET REGISTERED

I repeated a test three times: reboot and wait 5 minutes, check
neighbourhood view, run olpc-netstatus and check eJabberd Wed Admin for
stats, then try sharing Memorise activity and Video Chat (which requires
registration). After each test I checked again the netstatus

Results (all 3 tests):
- All four XOs connect to the server on rebooting
- Neighbourhood views become fully populated on all four XOs within 3
minutes.
- olpc-netstatus has Telepathy=salut, Jabber=(blank), XOs=5,
Essid=olpc-mesh, Channel=1, School=school.oceania.org, Config=School Mesh
- eJabberd Admin > Stats shows one user (admin) and no online users
- Sharing is working with Memorize (even though no XOs registered)!!!
- Sharing not working with Video Chat (Telepathy error - as expected)
- Netstatus remains stable throughout the tests as above

I now registered and rebooted all the four XOs and tried same tests (without
rebooting the server / without restarting eJabberd)

CONNECTED AND REGISTERED - eJABBERD NOT RESTARTED

Test as above, but I gave it more time (up to 20 mins)

Results (3 tests)
- All XOs connect after rebooting
- Neighbourhood view does NOT become populated
- olpc-netstatus (after 15 mins) on all XOs has Telepathy=gabble,
Jabber=school.oceania.org (not scholserver.oceania.org) XOs=2 (i.e. that XO
and the XS only), Essid=olpc-mesh, Channel=1, School=school.oceania.org,
Config=School Mesh
- eJabberd Admin > Stats shows five users (inc admin) and 4 online users
- Sharing does NOT work with Memorize (no icon in neighbourhood view on the
other XOs, cannot invite as no XOs in view)
- Video Chat starts OK but no other XO running it can be seen, so sharing
NOT working

CONNECTED AND REGISTERED - eJABBERD RESTARTED

No different from above