[Server-devel] Exploding wireless interfaces on your laptop

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:26:34 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you debug this thing? Can you give me a hand? ;-)

Right, so I've told udev to get into debug mode, and what it tells me
is *very* interesting. When I plug in the antenna (which will trigger
2 device-add events) the first device works out alright... for the
second one, the log looks like this

udevd-event[4104]: run_program: '/lib/udev/mesh-namer' returned with status 0
udevd-event[4104]: match_rule: set ENV 'INTERFACE_NAME=wmesh0'
udevd-event[4104]: udev_rules_get_name: rule applied, 'eth1' becomes 'wlan0'
udevd-event[4104]: rename_netif: changing net interface name from
'eth1' to 'wlan0'

there's some WTF-ery happening here. Our mesh-namer returns the name
we want it to return - and it gets ignored...?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com