[Server-devel] Exploding wireless interfaces on your laptop

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:03:22 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Or you could edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rename
> the offending device to be something else, and rename/edit the ifcfg-
> file to match the new device name.

Yes, could do that too.

Anyway - here's an interesting problem. While fiddling with ejabberd,
I prepared a patch that renamed wlanX to wmeshX. Installs, nice and
all. However...

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-config;a=commit;h=c57d6d8bf0295d4c83f02071d15439845962f661

With this in, the mesh namer script gets all confused, and instead of
wmesh0 we get eth1_rename. Unclear why, but that's what we get. I've
followed the logic, tried the commands by hand, and it all makes
sense.

The only thing I'd fix in the script is the grep for msh at the top -
it catches mshbond devices too. I'd match 'msh[0-2]'. Still, it
doesn't make any difference to the problem I'm seeing.

How do you debug this thing? Can you give me a hand? ;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com