[Server-devel] How to Post with GIT

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 07:48:37 EST 2008

2008/12/12 Lucas Wojciehcowski <msa.swimmer at gmail.com>:
> I have created some simple code for Moodle which improves the workflow for
> the user (per trac ticket #9021). I have committed the changes to the GIT
> rep locally, but when I try send the changes to the server with the command:
>>
>> git-push git://dev.laptop.org/git/users/martin/moodle.git HEAD:mdl19-xs
>
> It always returns:
>>
>> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing wrong. You don't yet have access to write to the server :-)

When you start contributing to a project, a good practice (and the
"git" way) is to prepare the patch with a good commit message (Andrew
Morton's "the perfect patch" is perhaps a good overview -- but don't
let it scare you). Once you have that, you can use the 'git
format-patch' command to export it as a file, and then 'git
send-email' to post it.

If you want to review/revise your patch, git commit has an --amend option.

Alternatively, you can get a repo on repo.or.cz and push there - and
then post here asking for review and merge. This is probably useful
later if you're working on a lot of code, but in that case you can
probably get access to dev.laptop.org directly :-)

Anyway - don't let the complications scare you - the most important
thing is to export the patch, make sure it's what you want to propose
for inclusion, and email it.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com