[Server-devel] XS 0.5 Second Attempt at eth1

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 4 11:42:11 EST 2008

Anna wrote:
> I tried the XS 0.5 install on another box to see if the LAN issues on my
> previous attempt were a hardware problem or something.  It's a different
> model Dell with 2 nics.
>
> Here are my notes:
>
> Basic install from the CD, text mode, default everything.
>
> Boot up, then:
> /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config anna.org
>
> Reboot
>
> /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/network_config 1
>
> Reboot
>
> Of course, the hostname was still localhost.localdomain so I edited
> /etc/sysconfig/network for HOSTNAME=schoolserver1
>
> Reboot.  Hostname was now updated to schoolserver1.
>
> Eth0 pulled an IP from my main LAN, so I knew which card was which.  I
> connected my AP (set to 172.18.96.5 and netmask 255.255.224.0) but couldn't
> ping it.  I tried connecting to the AP with an XO, but of course it didn't
> do anything.  I even connected my Ubuntu machine to the XS, but it couldn't
> get an IP and I couldn't ping anything either way.

Pulled this from your posted log file:
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex,
lpa 0x41E1
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver:
v3.3.0 (June 10, 2008)
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: bonding: MII link monitoring set to 100 ms
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: bonding: lanbond0 is being created...
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): lanbond0: link is
not ready
Dec  2 21:00:41 alabamaxo kernel: e1000: eth1: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link
is Up 10 Mbps Half Duplex, Flow Control: None

Can you post the output of "ip addr" and ethtool please. What is eth1
plugged into? hub? switch? AP? Half Duplex doesn't quite look right,
unless it really is a 10mbps hub.

Think we need pass arp_interval= and arp_ip_target= in place of miimon=
in xs_bonding, as there is no Port: MII on the gigbit card, sorry I
missed that before. If your make the edit and /sbin/ifdown eth1, unload,
reload the e1000 module, that should pickup the change when you
/sbin/ifup eth1. Tail the log file to see if landbond0 becomes active.

Jerry