[Server-devel] Network address for activation - Fwd: [Techteam] Activating laptops from the school server

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 29 12:54:43 EDT 2008

John Watlington wrote:

> DHCP was not recognizing msh0 interfaces brought up after
> DHCP was started.   Instead of bringing DHCP down/up on every
> networking device insertion, you can use a bridge to isolate the
> issue.
>
> DHCP is happy --- it finds all its network interfaces at boot time.
> And whenever a msh device is inserted and attached to the right
> bridge, DHCP works for it.

Yea, that is what I figured, use the bridge as a dummy interface and
just insert the device into the bridge when its available. Presents a
stable network environment for the network services that are offered in
what could be a changing network layout.

> You cannot bridge the mesh interface together.   The explanation
> would require more typing than I have time for now, but it has to
> do with magic MAC addresses used to discover mesh gateways.

OK, just need to know that there is a reason for more than one, thanks.

> wad

Jerry