[Server-devel] RFH: Anaconda install with alternative default disk layout (kickstart?)

Robin Norwood robin.norwood at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:49:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect this is trivial for kickstart/anaconda experts -- and help
> would be appreciated with this.
>
> What I am after is a kickstart file to drive XS installs to have a
> default disk layout that is _different_ from the F9 default disk
> layout, and yet can be overriden by the user.

Well, you can do an 'interactive' kickstart, which basically means
that the defaults are populated by the values in the kickstart, but
the user still goes through the entire process.  Otherwise...

> I've seen kickstart scripts that force-change the screen to a specific
> console to ask interactive questions. Looked scary to my untrained
> eye...

Yes, scary.

How about two use cases:

1. Default install, just use a ks file provided by you.

2. Interactive install, using a kickstart file the same as the above,
but in interactive mode.  This covers partitioning, and any other
random details installers may want to change.

It's been awhile since I've tried an interactive ks, but it still
seems to be a supported option.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood