[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Robin Norwood robin.norwood at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:41:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Robin Norwood <robin.norwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm taking a look at this today, and I think there's still a lot more
>> room for progress.  I ran Seth Vidal's 'installed-size.py' script [1]
>> on it, and it shows quite a few things that could probably be cleaned
>
> Great! Thanks for looking into this! I didn't know of the script, but
> the output looks mighty useful.
>
>> up [2].  For instance - emacs is requires by xs-pkgs...I use emacs
>
> You are right. emacs isn't part of a slim diet. The xs-pkgs deplist is
> split in two parts, the first part is a mix of packages we really need
> plus stuff we seem to pull in to make things work. The bottom part
> lists our real deps, the packages we use:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-pkgs;a=blob;f=xs-pkgs.spec.in;h=bfdec42720a513b52da6ca750d5f8acb89f6949e;hb=HEAD

Ok, I'll take a look.

>> Also of course gnome and that entire stack are getting
>> pulled in - is this from anaconda?  You already talked about getting
>> rid of anaconda - if you don't need X at all, then obviously the whole
>> thing could be trimmed dramatically.
>
> I do need anaconda to run the install :-) Anaconda knows how to run a
> pure text installer if it doesn't find its graphical deps. But the
> package pulls them in anyway, and pungi isn't smart enough to trick it
> :-)

Ok, yes, I was confusing what gets installed on the install disc with
what gets installed on the server!  So as far as the stuff installed
on the server goes, is GNOME or X even needed?

> There's a couple of other people looking at different aspects of this.
> Do you mind if we bring this discussion back to the list?

Yes, I just got bit by the lack of reply-to-list. :-)  Replying to the list now.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood

-Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching