[Server-devel] Network address for activation - Fwd: [Techteam] Activating laptops from the school server

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 28 13:32:57 EDT 2008

Jerry Vonau wrote:
>> OR do you want msh0, msh1, and msh2 on the same bridge? That would
>> require editing the BRIDGE= line to be the same bridge device in all
>> three ifcfg-mshX files
>
> Sorry make that read TYPE=

Which reminds me, I might be missing something here, but what was the
reasoning behind having one bridge per interface, and not just adding
all the msh + eth1 devices to a single bridge, and use 172.18.0.1/20 as
the ip address of the bridge? Then it wouldn't matter if eth1 is present
or not, this main address would be bound to the bridge, and present as
long as the bridge is active, even with no available devices for the
bridge present. No dummies files required. ;-) If service restriction is
need, then just use iptables to block the unwanted traffic.

Cleaner layout, no?

Food for thought,

Jerry