[Server-devel] Network address for activation - Fwd: [Techteam] Activating laptops from the school server

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Thu Aug 28 03:52:46 EDT 2008

Wad, people with network fu

we're trying to get the XS to reply to the activation requests from
the XO. The service is listening on 172.18.0.1:191 which is what the
non-activated laptops are trying.

The laptop, however, picks an address in the 172.18.16.x range. The
server is seeing the request on its msh0 interface but not responding
to it

 - Looking at `tshark -i msh0` we do see the requests to
172.18.0.1:191 ("prospero" proto, eh) on the XS.

 - Changing the ip addr msh0 on another XO to something in the
172.18.16.x range, we can no longer contact the XS. Wireshark sees the
traffic but the XS doesn't pay attention.

I am not 100% certain how to get the XS to pay attention to this
traffic... I am taming the jungle of bridges for the F9 upgrade, but
this is still a bit over my head.