[Server-devel] Debugging network scripts (from udev and explicit ifup invocation)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:09:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> The problem is that the network config script needs to be brought up
> before networking is brought up.  And networking is brought up before
> syslog is brought up.

Yup. If your syslog goes to another machine you need network to get it there :-)

Anyway, I think I'm getting things to go my way with my rigged up
net.hotplug now.

> I originally renamed all the interface with nice logical names, but ran
> into problems (don't remember exactly) and moved back to the Fedora
> standard ones.

The current plan is to

 - Stick to normal ethX names for wired interfaces
 - Use fancy names with matching ordinals for the interface pairs that
the AAs appear as. So wlan0 is the partner of msh0.

And I'll probably move all the logic from network_config to the
ifcfg-<ifname> scripts, which can read the 'server number' from
/etc/sysconfig/server_number.

So far, seems to be working, modulo some minor issues I'm debugging.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com