[Server-devel] Need help: Testing upgrade path for xs-0.4

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 22:59:02 EDT 2008

Brave souls out there, I need help testing the upgrade path from
xs-0.3 (aka OLPC_XS_165) and the new xs-config I am preparing for
xs-0.4.

This is mainly to test the big cleanup of how xs-config handles /etc.
While there are other changes in xs-0.4, the risky changes I need help
testing are the xs-config ones. Here's a quick guide...

  Prepare your base system - either a new install (instructions below)
or even better clone an XS install that is running...

 - Install OLPC_XS_165
   http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/

 - perform initial configuration as per
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Configuration_Management#Example_Configurations

 - get your networking sorted so you can access the internet from the XS

  Apply upgrade:

 - Install the new xs-config:
   yum -v --enablerepo=olpc-testing install xs-config

 - re-run /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config <yourdomain>

Check the sanity of the results

 - Are there any symlinks left over pointing to the olden files?
   find /etc -type l -lname '*fsroot*'

 - Are there any files that failed to get installed
   find /etc -type f -name ''*rpmnew"

 - Does the system work correctly? Reboot correctly?

I will be soon prepping installation images for this too but clean
install is a much easier problem :-)

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com