[Server-devel] F9 port

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 18 19:20:49 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> Here are the challenges:
>>>
>>>  - network_config runs on firstboot, and can be re-run later if
>>> network interfaces are added/removed
>>>
>> Think if the udev rule use different names from the default names, then the
>> devices won't flip around. ie msh0=mesh0 eth1=lan using something like:
>> KERNEL=="eth*", ATTR{address}=="00:52:8b:d5:04:48", NAME="lan"
>>

>> Then the ifcfg-files could use the new alias names.
>> Thoughts?
>
> That would mean creating udev rules when network_config is run? That
> would be fine with me. Will it lead to having the eth and msh devices
> for the USB antennas "lined up" so that eth4 goes with msh4?

Not when the network is run, when udev runs, just after the
70-persistent-net.rules. Need to create the alias after devices are
identified. Yes, that be the intent, should help in keeping the layout
straight, at least in my head... ;-)

>>>  - network_config sets up
>>>   - eth0 for the WAN
>>>   - ethN where N>0 and the interface is wired as LAN ports
>>>   -  the ethX/mshX pairs as LAN+Mesh ports
>>>   - and appropriate bridging across the LAN ports, routing/NAT'ting
>>> between LAN and WAN
>> This there a reason for the multi-bridges? Could you not just add the msh
>> devices to a single bridge and adjust the subnetmask to fit?
>> Just wondering...
>
> I'm not sure. Wad might have an opinion...
>
>>>  - udev scripts so that once an ethX/mshX is set, things work well
>>> even if the machine boots w/o the AA, or if the AA is plugged _after_
>>> we've booted
>
>> 75-persistent-net-generator.rules takes care of the naming, what you want is
>> an auto ifup <dev> with the plugging in of the usb <dev>?
>
> Yes!

hotplug does that. :-) and works..

>> I heard rumbling about xo name resolution, how about dhcpd auto-updating
>> named?
>
> That's desirable, but I'm not sure how long we'll want to stick to
> BIND. I'm considering dnsmasq or djbdns.

Won't fix the name lookups for the mesh computers, I think..

>>> Yes. And all that symlink mess get deprecated. I'm working on that too :-)
>> That will take a bit of time... ;-)
>
> getting there...!

F9 is not far off.

Jerry