[Server-devel] F9 port

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:53:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Here are the challenges:
>>
>>  - network_config runs on firstboot, and can be re-run later if
>> network interfaces are added/removed
>>
> Think if the udev rule use different names from the default names, then the
> devices won't flip around. ie msh0=mesh0 eth1=lan using something like:
> KERNEL=="eth*", ATTR{address}=="00:52:8b:d5:04:48", NAME="lan"
>

> Then the ifcfg-files could use the new alias names.
> Thoughts?

That would mean creating udev rules when network_config is run? That
would be fine with me. Will it lead to having the eth and msh devices
for the USB antennas "lined up" so that eth4 goes with msh4?

>>  - network_config sets up
>>   - eth0 for the WAN
>>   - ethN where N>0 and the interface is wired as LAN ports
>>   -  the ethX/mshX pairs as LAN+Mesh ports
>>   - and appropriate bridging across the LAN ports, routing/NAT'ting
>> between LAN and WAN
>
> This there a reason for the multi-bridges? Could you not just add the msh
> devices to a single bridge and adjust the subnetmask to fit?
> Just wondering...

I'm not sure. Wad might have an opinion...

>>  - udev scripts so that once an ethX/mshX is set, things work well
>> even if the machine boots w/o the AA, or if the AA is plugged _after_
>> we've booted

> 75-persistent-net-generator.rules takes care of the naming, what you want is
> an auto ifup <dev> with the plugging in of the usb <dev>?

Yes!

> I heard rumbling about xo name resolution, how about dhcpd auto-updating
> named?

That's desirable, but I'm not sure how long we'll want to stick to
BIND. I'm considering dnsmasq or djbdns.

>>> If this xs-conf is meant to be a rpm then would the *_config files not
>>> live
>>> better in /sbin and the ifcfg-* and *.conf file templates in
>>> /usr/share/xs-config?
>>
>> Yes. And all that symlink mess get deprecated. I'm working on that too :-)
>
> That will take a bit of time... ;-)

getting there...!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com