[Server-devel] Ubuntu XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:20:53 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org> wrote:
> I have a few projects I am helping support and was thinking about doing an
> Ubuntu based XS option. I wanted to find out whether anyone else was
> interested in this, and whether any work has been done.

If people take it on, fantastic. I am all for having things work on 2
Distros if people volunteer their time to move things forward. We'll
end up with more mature and resilient code.

OTOH, the same effort could be used to move things forward in one
platform. The XS is quite late, so we'll have 2 versions of an XS that
is lacking in what it provides, instead of one version of the XS that
is closer to performing what we want.

So my hint is: not yet. If you can help, there is plenty of hard
problems to help with. It's not the right time for increasing the
support surface.

> Martin mentioned that there are apparently 6 packages for the Fedora based
> XS project, so I need to find those out to port to Ubuntu please :)

off the top of my head:

  ds-backup-server
  idmgr
  xs-rsync
  xs-tools
  xs-config (nasty, nasty, being cleaned up)
  a patched up ejabberd
git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm (branch XS)
  usbmount (the package is ported from Debian, but there are fixes to
a bug that hits in debian too - the udev rules are landing in the
wrong dir)
  libpam-sotp

Also look at

  xs-pkgs - bloated metapackage, needs trimming
  xs-livecd - has other build rules in the kickstart file

Look for these in their git repos at http://dev.laptop.org/git -- I'll
be happy to merge patches that add a /debian directory with
appropriate packaging, and that generally improve portability.

...but I'll note again: XS is currently 20% done. A port to ubuntu
will take significant work and lead you to... 20% done. So far 20%
done feels like a lot of people screaming about 80% that isn't there
yet. Not a place where I want to be in; let's move forward.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com