[Server-devel] Warning: breakage updating xs-config

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 12 10:53:59 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago Bryan and David reported breakage with xs-config, and
>>> over the last week over various tests we've had xs-config updates
>>> making a mess of already-configured XS setups. I haven't had a chance
>>> to look at it but yes, it is a high priority bug, and I'll be working
>>> on it asap.
>>>
>> Sorry, coming up to speed, Ticket number? Got some info on the method used,
>> and what failed?
>
> #7708 - If you just install an XS, do the basic config (domain_config,
> etc) and then install a new xs-config, the install mechanism makes a
> mess. One tell-tale sign is that the files edited by domain_config are
> overwritten. Diagnosing more later...

I'll have a look.

>> Based on my F9 testing, while you have xs-config open, can you remove
>> syslogd from the requires? Syslogd will still be installed based on the
>> comp.xml file anyway. Without removing this requires from xs-config,
>> updating past F7 becomes impossible as syslogd was later renamed/replaced.
>
> What is the new name? The depends is there because we do override
> /etc/syslogd.conf

You have your choice of replacements, syslog-ng or rsyslog. rsyslog is
what get installed by default on F9.

Use /etc/sysconfig/syslog to point to a different config file, then it
doesn't matter if the "installed" .conf file gets changed with a rpm
upgrade, the daemon gets started with your config file.

>> The same goes for newt-perl in xs-pkgs. The package radvd also gave me
>> problems, although I don't recall why.
>
> I'll look into removing those.
>
>> I ended up re-rolling xs-config and
>> xs-pkgs to exclude these above packages. F9 now installs the xs-config
>> package, with one problem, the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/ 23456... don't
>> get created, looks like those need to be copied over also with F9.
>
> Ok.
>
>> Some
>> other links were installed as "file".olpcnew. also. I'll put together a list
>> later if you want it.
>
> Interesting. Short term plan is to fix it promptly. Long term plan --
> discussed with Wad this morn -- is to break xs-config into various
> parts:
>
>  - For daemons that accept a parameter pointing to the config file
> (named for example) we should disable the daemon permanently via
> chkconfig and install an alternative init script (named-olpc) which
> points to a different config file (/etc/named-olpc.conf).

For named, would it not be easier it use /etc/sysconfig/named to point
to an different config file?

ie: from:
OPTIONS=-D
ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot

to:

OPTIONS=-D -c /etc/named.conf.olpc.serv#
ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot

That should survive an rpm upgrade...

>  - For files where we want to search/replace values (as we do with
> domain_config_ we should ship a template file
> (/etc/named-olpc.conf.in) with placeholders (@@BASEDOMAIN@@). So
> domain_config gets simplified a lot and becomes more reliable too.
>
>  - We prefer conf.d arrangements where possible - and in those cases,
> avoid the symlink mess.
>
>  - For actually hardcoded-name files we need to override (ie:
> /etc/rssh.conf) we can use a version-control scheme (git based
> probably).
>
>  - And dismantle the symlink mess we have...

Ok, I see where you want to go...

Jerry