[Server-devel] Warning: breakage updating xs-config

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 11 09:49:30 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> A few weeks ago Bryan and David reported breakage with xs-config, and
> over the last week over various tests we've had xs-config updates
> making a mess of already-configured XS setups. I haven't had a chance
> to look at it but yes, it is a high priority bug, and I'll be working
> on it asap.

Sorry, coming up to speed, Ticket number? Got some info on the method
used, and what failed?

> Earlier updates to xs-config had been mainly tested in new installs or
> unconfigured XS setups. I also probably blamed something else for the
> breakage when I saw it. Now it's pretty clear and unambiguous *why*
> things are broken.
>
> I wish I had spotted this earlier - /

Based on my F9 testing, while you have xs-config open, can you remove
syslogd from the requires? Syslogd will still be installed based on the
comp.xml file anyway. Without removing this requires from xs-config,
updating past F7 becomes impossible as syslogd was later
renamed/replaced. The same goes for newt-perl in xs-pkgs. The package
radvd also gave me problems, although I don't recall why. I ended up
re-rolling xs-config and xs-pkgs to exclude these above packages. F9 now
installs the xs-config package, with one problem, the symlinks in
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/ 23456... don't get created, looks like those need to be
copied over also with F9. Some other links were installed as
"file".olpcnew. also. I'll put together a list later if you want it.

Jerry