[Server-devel] Reschedule XS meeting for Friday Aug 15 - or 10 PM Aug 14 EST ---- was (Re: not up for Friday meeting about the XS)

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sun Aug 10 05:10:59 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 18:52 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> If we are having a regular XS meeting, I also have to consider what we
> are doing targetting all our other deployments, some of them with
> thousands of servers :-)

Absolutely. We may be a small deployment but our work can benefit much
larger deployments.

> I'll be very interested in 1, 3 and 5, wanting to see how we can make
> those efforts reusable elsewhere :-) --

I really hope so.

> WRT 3 one thing that would be great is an exporter from the fedora
> repo to a static representation, or to something we can search & serve
> easily, so we don't have to carry the fedora sw itself on the XS. I've
> worked a bit with it, and while usually the repos hosted in it have
> content that is _gold_, I don't think the sw itself adds any value on
> the XS.

The great thing about the fedora-commons software is the search
functionality. Could we actually use search on a static representation
of the fedora-commons repository?

Ultimately, we want to put a lot of Nepali art and music on the XS. A
searchable repository will be key to accessing those resources.

In case David hasn't explained earlier, here is why hosting a mail
server on the XS is important to us.

The teachers aren't using their XO's as much as we would like them too.
We are looking for applications that will appeal directly to them and
compel them to use their XO's more frequently. We think e-mail is one
such application.

The Internet connection to our schools is not very reliable and we can
only afford 64K per school due to our budget constraints and the high
cost of Internet access in Nepal. E-mail is much better suited to this
low-bandwidth environment.

While it may not be right for every OLPC deployment, it's a good choice
for us in Nepal.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer