[Server-devel] Reschedule XS meeting for Friday Aug 15 - or 10 PM Aug 14 EST ---- was (Re: not up for Friday meeting about the XS)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 02:52:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> feeling better now, antibiotics really work :)

Great news. Please let me draw up a base agenda - I do want to outline
where we stand with the XS and what the plans challenges and
timeframes going forward are.

> I see the key purpose of this meeting is to let you folks what
> additional functionality we are working on for Nepal's XS

If we are having a regular XS meeting, I also have to consider what we
are doing targetting all our other deployments, some of them with
thousands of servers :-)

> and to make
> sure that our additions don't conflict w/ future changes to the
> underlying XS.

That's a tricky one. What you guys are doing is not particularly
recommended unless you have just a small number of server plus deep
linux expertise on tap long term. I've been trying to give David
sensible advise around what things to avoid...

> Here is the additional stuff we are looking to build into the XS over
> the next 6 months:
>
> 1) Customized Nepali version of Moodle
> 2) Mail server using Squirrel Mail*
> 3) Setting up a local version of Nepal's E-Library on the XS, a copy of
> Nepal's current E-Library  http://pustakalaya.olenepal.org which uses
> the open-source fedora-commons repository software.
> 4) and more stuff that I can't remember  at the moment.
> 5) Connecting schools through ejabberd

I'll be very interested in 1, 3 and 5, wanting to see how we can make
those efforts reusable elsewhere :-) --

WRT 3 one thing that would be great is an exporter from the fedora
repo to a static representation, or to something we can search & serve
easily, so we don't have to carry the fedora sw itself on the XS. I've
worked a bit with it, and while usually the repos hosted in it have
content that is _gold_, I don't think the sw itself adds any value on
the XS.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com