[Server-devel] Network Provisioning

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:20:19 EDT 2008

> I would prefer to see fairness in access to QoS.   We are working with
> oversubscribed networks.   QoS simply ensures that one or two students
> will have a good experience while the rest get nothing.   Who decides
> which students get the good experience ?    And just wait until someones
> figures out how to get their bittorrent client to demand QoS...

good point

> One of the points of OLPC was to show that the price of laptops is
> kept artificially
> high.    Why shouldn't I believe that the same is true of the APs you
> are recommending ?

It is certainly true. They are aimed at a customer segment (defined
by the customer's needs and wallet) that can and will pay that price.

> [...].   We are trying to steer them away from really cheap
> solutions that
> we know will result in poor overall experience, but other than that,
> Peru is
> free to choose a much cheaper AP than BHM or NYC.
>
> wad

Considering the experts I met in BHM, I have no clue what information
they will base their choice on. (I wish them luck.)

It may be a little late now for starting a thread for large school scenarios, but hopefully there will be more (and better prepared) big deployments in the future.
How about expanding the XS wiki page to include strategies for upscaling the XS (maybe on the discussion page for a start)?

regards
Stefan