[Server-devel] Network Provisioning

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:57:51 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM, John Watlington <wad at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>  Proposed change to the hardware spec:
>
>  From one to four access points may use an simpler switch,
>  connected to the server over a 100 Mb/s link.   From five to seven
>  access points will need a better switch, which provides a 1 GB/s
>  link to the server.
>
>  This means that a 1 GB/s interface should be specified for the servers.

Theoretically, yes... but perhaps this is a bit over the top. For the
space we are aiming...

 - the XS services will bottleneck well before saturating 1Gb/s traffic
 - 'upstream' services that the XS is routing will bottleneck well before 1Gb/s

if we see a 7-AP setup, it will be there to support either a large
number of laptops or a location with obstacles that needs many
antennaes. In any case, it will support laptops mostly peering w
eachother.

If we are designing for a "client base" of laptops that we actually
expect to saturate 1Gb, then... we need to start recommending a
mid-range server cluster, perhaps a SAN, all costing a few megabucks
;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com