[Server-devel] [sugar] sugar roadmap

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 08:42:27 EDT 2008

Hi,
   I want to second the opinion that Moodle is definitely the right tool for
content distribution, though a localised broken down wikipedia as a global
reference to information is not a bad idea. Coming from a teaching
perspective, children students need to be led, they need to be shown what to
do. It is not at all the same as at Universisty level where the student
often takes in the informtation they are interested in. For example, not
everyone likes mathematics at a school level, yet it is an essential
teaching philosophy and must be pushed to the student, rather than pulled by
the student. Moodle allows for this, and I have successfully used it in this
enivornment for several years. It is extremely easy to create content and
assignements of any nature, though they willl of course all be web based,
but that doesn't mean you coudln't integrate a core moodle program centred
around the sugar array of software and how to use it.
   Another thing I've noticed on this list is the insistence on recreating
the wheel, and the amount of good FOSS that is already out there reallly
makes this a waste of time. We should be talking about integrating existing
tools rather than recreating new ones. Just my 2 cents...

Here is a list of eductational FOSS compiled by an organisation in the US:
http://www.osv.org.au/index.cgi?tid=155

David