[Server-devel] introduction...

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 06:35:38 EDT 2008

     Hi,   I have recently applied for a volunteer position at OLE in Nepal,
and it was suggested I introduce myself here. So here goes. I have been
involved in the Linux community for a while, but my experience lies very
much in the Debian/Ubuntu field, which I feel is far friendlier and more
logical than the other distros. I have run my own IT company for 5 years,
where we built bespoke programs, but mostly web solutions and administering
accounts. Since then I administered a medium sized school, building the
entire system based on LTSP (an amazing system) which really allows for the
administration side to be a non-headache. I also taught IT for a year at
this school. I've been following the list a little and I've taken a look at
sugar which is very intriguing, though obviously very young still. I've been
talking to Bryan Berry from OLENepal, and suggested installing a prototype
XS server based on ebox with ubuntu or debian under the hood. The main
reason is my knowledge in this area and the fact that I'll need to teach
this to other sysadmins/teachers in Nepal. I know you guys have some ideas
already, and you've already started on something, and I wouldn't want to
just branch without synchronizing with the XS devel team. There are many
aspects of the mesh networking aspect that I'm not to clear about, as I've
never worked with this, though it seems pretty clear. I have always worked
with webmin with my ltsp system without any problems, though I know how
developers feel about its security and its internal workings, but lets be
clear here, we're working with schools, not banks.... so I don't see the
fuss. Anyway, I do think ebox is a good full solution that would do a better
job than webmin in terms of security, and would be easily understood by most
admins... With your blessign, I'd like to go ahead and build a prototype
based on debian or  Ubuntu for Nepal... with whatever help is needed from
the XS devel team.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche