[Server-devel] Transfers between xo and school-server

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Apr 10 05:19:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

2008/4/8 Robson Mendonça <robsonmwoc at gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> > Could you please copy it to wiki.laptop.org?
>
>  Yep! I did it. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/AMADIS

Thanks!

> > What do you mean by update the XO through the web? You mean
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update ?
>
> Yep again. I don't know if this have any relation with file transfer between
> xo and server.

Not sure. That's for updating the part of the laptop that _isn't_
created by the user. We care here about the other ;) Don't know if the
plan is for OS updates to be in the school server. Martin would know,
I guess.

> But the focus of my question is don't repeat any existent work. However, if
> this is possible
>  or not, only you can say me.
>
> I know about the network problems in the field, in the last year when many
> kids, at Porto Alegre trial school, tried to connect with
> the internet, few succeeded.
>
> Because of this, I saw that the Journal publication, in the proposal,
> couldn't be automatic. Thus can be a problem or hurt the
>  OLPC concepts about backup, then you can talk to me, and lead me to
> maintain the means clear.

There are many ways of arbitrating access to the backup service, and
as you pointed out, this should happen without taking much bandwidth.
See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_backup_restore for a proposal.

> How Tomeu saw, If somebody is thinking in something closer with this, I
> still open to discussion, this is very important to me.

I would like to know if there already exist any plans about backups. Martin?

Thanks,

Tomeu