[Server-devel] XS server: raid 6 configuration with build 160, 161, 162 not ok

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 10:19:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 10:25 -0300, Martin Langhoff wrote:

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Stefan Reitz <stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  Something is fishy.

Definitely. Can you try an install based on a Fedora 7 liveCD?

I am currently downloading Fedora-7-Live-i686.iso. I will try installing it tonight.

Maybe the problem is really with the nVidia hardware. I used to like it but am seeing some bad (like more than usual for non intel products) press lately.

I'll keep you posted.

>  What do you think is going on?

Too many variables ATM - we need to narrow it down to

 - HW/driver or a problem in how the soft RAID was setup
 - Fedora getting its panties in a knot at the sight of a soft RAID
 - Our customisations not coping with RAID

I have all mainboard raid functions disabled. I trust md. I can pull the plug on my CentOS webserver anytime (my power company has done so many times) and nothing bad ever happened.

I also have the ACPI HPET table disabled as this seems necessary to make some linux distros (and solaris) boot in the first place.

>  Anybody ever tried this using a different mobo / sata controller (mine is
> the on-board nVidia MCP61)?

I haven't tried RAID or that controller.

so long

Stefan