[Server-devel] [OLPC Networking] RSSI value questions

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Apr 2 15:38:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Oliver Mattos wrote:

> To be honest I very much doubt the hardware in the wireless adaptors could
> measure time in single digit nanoseconds, and even if they could it would
> probably require a change in the over the air signal to use more bandwidth
> (spectrum) for a "pulse" to get better time resolution, which in turn would
> require hardware modification.

the commercial products are able to do it with unmodified laptops, so it
should not require a change to the over-the-air signal (unless this
generation of active antenna hardware isn't up to the task)

> I would think the sound and signal strength meter are better metrics.
> Remember although signal strength is a bad indicator by itself, it can be
> much improved with 2 aerials and the large number of possible pairs to
> measure signal strength between in a well linked mesh.

the problem with trying to use sound is that it requres a clear path from
the servers to the laptops, something I would not expect to see very much.
it's also very sensitive to the direction the laptops are pointing.

David Lang